Clifton Community Council

Neighborhood Pedestrian and Bicycle Access Committee (NP&BAC) - 2013-2014

 

REPORT OF OCTOBER 16 MEETING:
In attendance: Member Neighborhood Associations: Clifton – Cassandra Culin, Co-Chair, Bill Wright, Mike O'LearyClifton Heights - Anne McMahon, Co-Chair, Tia Jenkins, Jason Bradley
CART (Coalition for the Advancement of Regional Transportation) – Terrell Holder
Metro Public Works – Dirk Gowin
1) Clifton/Payne Intersection:  Discussion with Dirk Gowin, Engineer with Metro Public Works about improving the serious safety problems at this intersection.  Committee members want to have a meeting with the public about this issue to follow up the meeting last spring.  However, they strongly expressed the importance of having clear videos or at least photographs of the various options so they can be accurately visualized.  Dirk and Terrell will look into what might be available for this.  Cassandra will contact Mike Sewell.
Discussion of letter drafted by Shawn Dikes to new Councilperson [update, it's Bill Hollander] about this intersection – endorsed by all with only very minor edits.
2) Emerald Sidewalk:  Dirk announced that the sidewalk from Emerald along Vernon to Frankfort Ave. is on the list.  The sidewalk on the west side of Vernon will be repaired to be accessible to an electric wheelchair.  Bill Wright will be in touch with Dirk about looking at the 4" break in the sidewalk on the east side to get it done at the same time.
3) Clifton Heights: Anne McMahon reported – hoping to get the Drescher Bridge sidewalk done before Councilwoman Tina Ward-Pugh's term is up.
4) Clifton: Concerns raised – Barbara Henning reported that Lee River City Tires fence on Frankfort Ave. is confusing  to her dog guide.  Tia Jenkins would like to have wheelchair access to Bingham Park from Coral at the south end of the park.  The fence blocking the sidewalk at the Hill Top on Frankfort Ave. was moved back to clear the sidewalk [update – sidewalk blocked again to repair the sidewalk itself].  Bill Wright asked about the Haldeman Water Company work to be done on Haldeman.  Cassandra will contact Councilwoman Ward-Pugh and Kyle Ethridge about the meeting that was scheduled months ago and postponed.
5) Move Louisville: Cassandra and Terrell Holder of CART discussed the short comment period and encouraged comments.  [update: comment period extended to December 15, see announcement from Patti Clare below at * with web link; apologies for the embedded graphics – just skip over them if you cannot see them; looks like they are trying to improve the process of commenting]
AGENDA for November 20 meeting:
A) Review Agenda; make additions and changes
B) Discussion of Clifton/Payne Intersection 
C) Safe Passage Initiative – update
D) Share the Street Banners – update
E) Neighborhood Reports – All (Clifton – request from CCC Board to revisit, edit, and reprint the Car-Free Guide)
F) Move Louisville – discussion on the commenting process
REPORT OF SEPTEMBER 18 MEETING:
In attendance: Member Neighborhood Associations: Clifton – Cassandra Culin, Co-Chair, Adam Ruschival, Jeff Nowlin, Mike O'LearyCrescent Hill, Shawn Dikes, Co-Chair; Butchertown – Stevie Finn, Co-Chair
1) Neighborhood Reports
 
Butchertown: Stevie reported – nothing new.  Gas line people almost through.  Work has been disruptive to pedestrians and bicyclists.
Crescent Hill: Shawn reported – investigating where banners would go.
Clifton: Cassandra reported - Emerald and Vernon sidewalks – Michael Zysk email that Metro Public Works (MPW) still have things that have to come first, but are committed to repairing the sidewalks as promised.
2) Clifton/Payne St. Intersection – 
Dirk Gowin of MPW was to speak with the committee about short and long-term improvement options, but was unable to attend because of injuries from a recent bicycle crash.  He will be at the October meeting for this discussion and to plan for wider community meeting to follow-up on the one last spring and update the interested parties.
Mike shared Metro Public Works information, and Shawn explained how the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) works and the importance of being able to understand the rules to communicate with MPW.
Speeding issue – Shawn will share an article documenting how pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure make roads safer for all users, and graphics on the relation between speed and pedestrian injury/death.  Idea was discussed to make posters of the graphics to place at the Billy Goat Hill Garden and other public institutions and other places in the neighborhood possibly on a rotating basis, as a public education effort. [update – the article and graphics will be available at the Thursday meeting]
Discussion of Mike's suggestion to have a competition to generate innovative designs for a long-term solution to the issues at this intersection.
Consensus that the Clifton/Payne Intersection issue affects all 5 neighborhoods.  Agreement to send a letter to the new 9th District Metro Council Member after the 1st of the year, from the NP&BAC and ideally endorsed by all the member neighborhoods.  Shawn agreed to draft it.  [update – draft will be available at the Thursday meeting]
REPORT OF JULY MEETING:
In attendance: Member Neighborhood Associations: Clifton – Cassandra Culin, Co-Chair, Jason CrowderClifton Heights -  Anne McMahon, Co-Chair, Barbara Henning; Butchertown – Stevie Finn, Co-Chair
1) Rethinking Streets Guide – Jason will look into obtaining a copy for the Committee.
2) Safe Passage Initiative – Jason presented the final draft.  Anne and Stevie approved for their organizations.  Cassandra will distribute to Crescent Hill, Irish Hill, and FABA for approval and counts of brochures needed.  Once approved, Jason will coordinate printing with Dirk Gpwin, Metro Public Works (MPW is funding the printing). [update – all sponsors have approved; need 500 business brochures and 2,000 – 3,000 for public]  Jason will work with Dirk on getting it put on the Metro website, so we can use that link, and ask Kyle Ethridge to put it on Councilwoman Tina Ward-Pugh's website.
2) Share the Street Banners – Cassandra will follow up with Randy Oates for a quote and contact FABA. [update – quote received and circulated to Co-Chairs and FABA; FABA consulted]  Discussion of other requirements.  Cassandra will look into insurance questions.
3) Neighborhood Reports:
 
Butchertown: Stevie reported: 
General: nothing new - streets and sidewalks are being town up every day for gas  and water lines, and the bridges project.  
Butchertown Greenway - the broken portion has been restored; there was still one detour through a parking lot on the Poe property, but it is accessible to bicycles and pedestrians.

Clifton Heights: Anne reported:

 Kenilworth: no parking posted on north side to Callabell

Drescher Bridge: no further report

Clifton: Cassandra reported:

Clifton/Payne – Cassandra reported she received an email from Dirk Gowin of Public Works that stop signs are appropriate and that he would let her know the schedule.

Emerald – Cassandra reported on her meeting with resident Michael Zysk, power chair user, Craig Allen, Metro Public Works, and John Beckman, committee member and wonder of property where Michael lives.  The sidewalk between Michael's residence and Frankfort Ave. was surveyed; many hazards for a wheelchair were identified.  Craig reported that sidewalk damage is rated on a scale of 1 – 5, with 5 being a break 3" high or more; 4 is 2-3" and that Metro doesn't have enough funding to repair the 4s and 5s.  He will have the sidewalk repaired in enough places to make it passable for an electric wheelchair.
Brownsboro Cottages – Plan to tear down cottages and develop the site was not supported or opposed by the CCC.  The NC&BAÇ concern is the width and number of the driveway curb cuts.
Ready Electric – to break ground at the end of August or September.  Pedestrian access to the sidewalk will be affected during construction of new curb cut for driveway at light and other sidewalk work.
TARC: A concern came up that if and when TARC eliminates stops in any of our neighborhoods, the NP&BAC wants to be involved in the discussions of which ones.  Cassandra will email Aida Copic, TARC.
May15, 2014 Meeting (thank you Jason for your notes)
In Attendance:  Member Neighborhood Associations: Clifton Heights - Anne McMahon, Co-Chair, Barbara Henning; Clifton - Jan Weber, Peter Larson, and Jason Crowder 
1) Discussion of the upcoming release of Dangerous by Design by Smart Growth America and the National Complete Streets Coalition (to be released May 20th). The report ranks 51 major metro areas on a Pedestrian Danger Index (PDI). According to a source close to the project, our region ranks in the bottom 20. 

2)    2) Status of Safe Passage Brochure:  Jason has the final edits (as agreed upon with Anne and Cassandra). Jason plans to make this his focus to wrap up the brochures and coordinate with Dirk Gowin on the printing. Metro Public Works has agreed to fund the printing. Jan suggested also making the brochures available online.
 
3)    3) Share the Street Banners :  Cassandra is to check in with Anne Walker to see where she is with the Highlands Guild.
 
4)    4) Frankfort Avenue Doorway Project:   The group is working to extend the Butchertown Greenway from Karen Lynch Park south along Beargrass Creek to Home of the Innocents.  On Frankfort Ave., Walsh (the Ohio River Bridges Project contractor) will install sidewalks under the I-71 bridge being rebuilt.  Metro Louisville will be responsible for completing a sidewalk from Story to River Road.
5)    5) Move Louisville:  Another meeting is projected for June or July.
 
6)    6) Neighborhood specific issues
 
a)     Clifton Heights:   Clifton Heights had a meeting with Tina Ward-Pugh to discuss pedestrian issues. Tina noted that she is committed to several resolutions including:         
Kenilworth: solving the parking issues that block pedestrian safe passage; Update at a subsequent June 11 meeting, Tina reported that "we have the funding", that the first stage of an ADA compliant sidewalk will go from Brownsboro to the apartments at 357 to 375 Kenilworth, that she is working with Metro Public Works to get a few parking spaces.  When speedhumps were requested, Tina spoke of cost-sharing.
        Drescher Bridge: adding a sidewalk on the east side, but only to the top of the hill (there will not be a median since it is not wide enough)
        Lindsay/Hite: providing a curb cut (Metro Public Works is to design)
        N. Birchwood: adding a first time sidewalk from Cleveland to Brownsboro.
        Brownsboro Road: Clifton Heights has also met with the owner of Pat’s Steak House to discuss ways to better accommodate pedestrians along their parking lot.
b)     Clifton:  Clifton Land Use and Preservation Committee has been looking out for potential pedestrian and bicycle issues at the proposed developments at the former Ready Electric site & The Cottages on Brownsboro Road.         
Ready Electric: The development will only have one two-way vehicular entrance/ exit that will be aligned with Bellaire Avenue. The developers are working with Metro to make it a 4 way (offset) intersection similar to State Street or Haldeman Avenue at Frankfort Avenue. The intersection will have ADA warning pavers, sound attenuated crosswalks, and the crosswalks will be striped. The sidewalk along Frankfort Avenue in front of the development does not propose any safe passage obstacles. The entries to the building are offset from the sidewalk. The ground floor units along Frankfort Avenue will have doors out to private patios which are also offset back from the sidewalk.
Cottages on Brownsboro: The current proposal to demolish the five cottages on Brownsboro Road and to replace them with a strip mall development was tabled by the Clifton ARC. It will be placed on the next available docket. An issue of pedestrian concern includes the proposed two wider two-way entries/ exits (rather than the current narrower separate one way entry and exit).
Clifton-Payne Intersection: Representatives from the Clifton NP&BAC met with Metro Public Works, stakeholders (Clifton Community Council, St. Frances of Rome, and Sacred Heart Village), and neighbors to discuss the flaws with the Clifton Avenue and Payne Street intersection. Metro Public Works acknowledged there are problems with the intersection and has agreed to offer both short term and long term solutions for correcting the faults. The short term (low budget) resolution would likely include signing the intersection as a four-way stop and better painted (thermoplastic) crosswalks. The long term solution would require a larger budget and more time; it would include a complete redesign of the intersection with better aligned crosswalks and curb extensions at all corners. It would remain a four-way stop in the long term solution.

7)    7) Future NP&BAC Meetings:  The Committee discussed the possibility of alternating monthly meetings between full committee and individual neighborhoods, giving the individual neighborhoods a chance to meet with their committees during the same time spot. Since only Clifton and Clifton Heights was represented, no decision was made.
  
April 17, 2014 Meeting

In attendance: Member Neighborhood Associations: Clifton – Cassandra Culin, Co-Chair, Bill Wright, Adam Ruschival, Carla RuschivalClifton Heights - Tia Jenkins; Butchertown – Stevie Finn, Co-Chair.
1) Concern about interrupted connection between the Butchertown Greenway and the Louisville Loop north of River Road in the Poe Construction site.  Butchertown Co-Chair Stevie Finn will call 311 and Steve Sizemore.  Update: that section has been completed and paved, but another section has been broken up.
2) Extended discussion of Move Louisville Candidate Project List.  Cassandra reported that she was working as an individual with CART members on comments and additions to the list.  She went through the lists of NP&BAC member neighborhood organizations to be sure they were represented accurately, supported by comments, and rated appropriately.  Additional comments to be made and items to be added were discussed.
3) Neighborhood Reports:
  • Butchertown: Stevie reported that she thinks that the MSD work is done, but they haven't paved the streets or taken down the signs.  
  • Irish Hill: Cassandra announced the meeting to be held April 22 about the Irish Hill portion of Lexington Road.
  • Clifton Heights: Tia reported difficulty getting right of way for a sidewalk on Mt. Holly between Cleveland and Lindsey.  
  • Clifton: Cassandra reported on the successful meeting on the Clifton/Payne intersection in which Dirk Gowin of Public Works pledged to work with the neighborhood to make this intersection safer for pedestrians and bicyclists, first with stop signs on Payne and painted crosswalks.  Then he would come back with options for a permanent solution, for which additional funding would be needed.  Tia reported continuing problem with mud on the Brownsboro sidewalk east of Coral and problems getting the concern heard.  She will email Dirk Gowin.
Report of the January 16, 2014 Meeting

 In attendance: Member Neighborhood Associations: Clifton – Cassandra Culin, Co-Chair, Adam Ruschival, Jason Crowder, Emily Boone; Clifton Heights - Anne McMahon, Co-Chair, Tia Jenkins; Butchertown – Stevie Finn, Co-Chair; Irish Hill – John Hawkins, Co-Chair.

 1) Move Louisville – on short notice, Co-Chairs and other representatives of Clifton, Clifton Heights, Butchertown, and Irish Hill met with Carol Katchadoorian of the Toole Group, Pedestrian Consultant for Move Louisville.  Shawn Dikes, Crescent Hill Co-Chair and Chair of its Transportation Committee, serves on Move Louisville’s Technical  Advisory Committee.  Cassandra serves on its Advisory Committee.  Update – a tour is being planned – see information above.

 2) Priorities – Decision that each neighborhood association will develop its priorities and share them with the Committee.

Clifton - discussion of the highest priority issue: pedestrian safety crossing Payne at Clifton.  Anne McMahon provided names of contacts at St. Francis of Rome Church and Sacred Heart Village.

Butchertown – Stevie Finn shared priority list with the Carol Katchadoorian and the Committee.

Irish Hill – John Hawkins will bring up developing priorities with his Board.

3) Clifton TARC Benches – Cassandra reported that she met with Mark Adams of TARC as he reviewed placement of benches in Clifton (no shelters) with Public Works employees.  The bench on Frankfort at Keats will be put in the landscape area near the river birch.  In addition, a bench will be placed on the NE corner of Frankfort and State Street, in the grass area between the sidewalk and the curb.  Discussion of placing one on the NW corner of Frankfort and Pope.  An additional bench will be added next to the shelter on Ewing, near the SW corner of Brownsboro.

 

4) Clifton Heights – Anne McMahon reported that the vision for the Clifton Heights Greenway is to continue it to River Road.  She also reported that Clifton Heights will host a Forum for all candidates for the 9th District Metro Council position to be vacated by Tina Ward-Pugh: Tuesday, March 18, at the Mellwood Arts Center lobby (on left at main entrance).  This will be an opportunity to hear what candidates have to say about pedestrian and bicycle access.  Also relating to Clifton Heights, Emily Boone expressed concern that the 15 bus would no longer go up Lindsey when the VA Hospital moves.  

Update:

Safe Passage Initiative – Shawn Dikes, Crescent Hill Co-Chair and Cassandra presented the brochures at the February 7 FABA meeting where members voted unanimously to approve them.  Jason Crowder, Anne McMahon, and Cassandra are working to finalize editing.  They will be printed by Metro Public Works.

Share the Street Banners – Update – Cassandra following up with the Highland Merchant Guild about using the NP&BAC logo designed by Anne Walker.  [Additional information: so far, Clifton will fund 5 and Clifton Heights 2 banners.  Adam Ruschival will investigate possible funding sources, Kirk Kandle will look into Bicycling & Pedestrian Education funds and FABA.  Anne McMahon has recommendations for 2 pole numbers.]

Neighborhood Pedestrian and Bicycle Access Committee (NP&BAC) Report
Report of the December 5, 2013 Meeting
In attendance: Member Neighborhood Associations: Clifton – Cassandra Culin, Co-Chair, Adam Ruschival, Bill Wright, Jeff Nowlin, Emily Boone, Mark Gliebe; Clifton Heights – Anne McMahon.
1)     Safe Passage Initiative – On Shawn Dike's recommendation, decision to postpone to January the presentation of the brochures to FABA.  Discussion about distributing the pamphlets to businesses.  Jeff volunteered to cover Bellaire to Rastedder.  Update: Shawn and Cassandra will present at the 1/24 FABA membership meeting.  [Additional information: Two pamphlets have been developed, one for the businesses and one for the public.  Approved to date by four neighborhood associations.  Graphics and editing by Jason Crowder; photos by John Beckman; to be printed by Metro Public Works]
2)     Share the Street Banners – Cassandra to continue to follow up with Highland Merchant Guild about the NP&BAC logo designed by Anne Walker to be used on the banners.  [Additional information: so far, Clifton will fund 5 and Clifton Heights 2 banners.  Adam Ruschival will investigate possible funding sources, Kirk Kandle will look into Bicycling & Pedestrian Education funds and FABA.  Anne McMahon has recommendations for 2 pole numbers.]
3) Miller pipeline work, Clifton Heights – Anne reported work on Mt. Holly, Cleveland and Hite, and that Barbara Henning praised the traffic control folks for escorting blind pedestrians around the construction.  The temporary sand covering holes in the sidewalk is a problem because it looks like concrete and is hazardous to pedestrians.
4) Drescher Bridge and Brownsboro Roads, Clifton Heights – Anne reported that Tina did a survey regarding options on configuration of the intersection and sidewalks there.
 5) Story Park, Butchertown – Emily reported that 3 businesses donated funds for demolition of old building at the I-64 off-ramp and for a plan to be made for a park.  The Butchertown NA is working on a strategic plan for the neighborhood, which will get mitigation funds from the bridges project.
6) Bench at Keats and Frankfort Ave., Clifton – Cassandra will follow up regarding placement. (Update – per Mark Adams of TARC, this bench will be installed in the landscape area near the river birch tree soon.)
7) Chicken Steps Signage, Clifton – Cassandra reported that the signage has been installed on Frankfort Ave. at Vernon directing pedestrians to the Chicken Steps.  Discussion of a suggestion to have braille signs made was tabled.
8) Move Louisiville (formerly Strategic Multi-Modal Transportation Plan)– Cassandra reported on the Nov. 11 preliminary meeting of the Advisory Committee on which she serves.  Update: general meetings are being held this week at TARC, see http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/B066D14E-A72A-419B-898B-58585F03FABC/0/MoveLouisville_design_workshop_1_flyer.pdf for schedule and more info, which also went out to this email list last week.  Update: your Co-Chairs met with consultants today.
9) Priorities – The Committee's members from each neighborhood are developing pedestrian and bicycle priorities to go to their respective Boards for approval.  Committee members support and encourage each other in this effort.  Additions made to the current working list.  Suggestion that priorities be first on the agenda for the January meeting.  The current priority list is being emailed to active members.  Email Cassandra if you would like to be added to this list.
Clifton – Consensus to recommend to the CCC Board to assign top priority to making the intersection of Payne and Clifton safer for pedestrians.  Update: The CCC Board adopted this priority at it's Dec. 10 meeting. 
10) Bicycle Issues – New member Mark Gleibe is interested in the bicycle side of the Committee charge.  He proposed adding getting a "rail with trail" along the railroad track to the list to be prioritized as a starter.

Neighborhood Pedestrian and Bicycle Access Committee (NP&BAC) Report

The NP&BAC is now five: Clifton, Clifton Heights, and Crescent Hill Community Councils, and Butchertown and Irish Hill Neighborhood Associations!

Our September 28 Celebration of the Brownsboro Mayor’s Mile and the First Anniversary of the sidewalk and diet, on a beautiful walking day, was very successful!  Councilwoman Tina Ward-Pugh dedicated the Celebration to the memory of active Crescent Hill NP&BAC member Joe Ward in recognition of his significant contributions to pedestrian and bicycle access issues.

Walk our Mayor's Mile, from Haldeman to Ewing on the south side of Brownsboro, cross to the north side and walk back to Haldeman, following the signs, both visual and in braille.

Thank you to all who made our Mayor's Mile and Celebration possible: Anne McMahon for organizing the event; the Councilwoman and her Assistant Kyle Ethridge for their support and participation; Alex Molina and the Health Department for the Mayor's Mile coordination; Dirk Gowin and the Department of Public Works for the Mayor's Mile signage; The American Printing House for the Blind for the braille signage; The Greater Louisville Council of the Blind for their ongoing partnership with the NP&BAC, funding, and donation of the I Walk Here buttons; Clifton Universalist Unitarian Church for use of awning, chairs & table; Jason Crowder for the map of the Mayor’s Mile; the Clifton Community Council for funding and other support; Kroger for donation of space and helium; McDonald’s for donation of water; Dave Trevino, Barbara Henning, Tom Cunningham, and Kyle Ellison for music; for preparation and set-up: Tia Jenkins, Stevie Finn, Fred McMahon, Dave Coyte, Paul Hohman, John Shellhamer, Jason Bradley, Joe Fuchs, Cecil Cox, Carla and Adam Ruschival, Bill Wright, Deb Lewis, John Baker, and Cassandra Culin.  Thanks also to the businesses along the route that supported the celebration with special promotions: CVS, BJ’s Consignments, Southern Cuisine, and Sam's Hotdog Stand.
Report of the Sept. 19 Meeting
In attendance: Member Neighborhood Associations: Clifton – Cassandra Culin, Co-Chair, Jason Crowder, John Shellhamer, Billy Wages; Clifton Heights – Anne McMahon, Co-Chair, Tia Jenkins; Butchertown – Stevie Finn, Co-Chair; [Crescent Hill Co-Chair Shawn Dikes unable to attend]
1)     Brownsboro Road

a.     Signage – The signs are on track to be installed by the Celebration scheduled for 10 am – 12 noon September 28.  Update: The Mayor’s Mile and Chicken Steps signs were installed; the braille signs delayed.

b.     Celebration – final plans discussed

2)     Safe Passage Initiative – FABA representative Kirk Kandle to request approval of the mock-up from FABA.  [Additional information: Two pamphlets are being developed, one for the businesses and one for the public.  Approved to date by the four neighborhood associations.  Graphics and editing by Jason Crowder; photos by John Beckman; to be printed by Metro Public Works]

 

3)     Share the Street Banners – Cassandra to follow up with Highland Merchant Guild about the NP&BAC logo designed by Anne Walker to be used on the banners.  So far, Clifton will fund 5 and Clifton Heights 2 banners.  Adam Ruschival will investigate possible funding sources, Kirk Kandle will look into Bicycling & Pedestrian Education funds and FABA.  Anne McMahon has recommendations for 2 pole numbers.
4)     Story Ave. (Butchertown) – Report from Stevie about concern about safe pedestrian access where sidewalk was narrowed by tree wells installed by MSD.  Dirk Gowin of Public Works is talking with MSD. Trash is collecting in the tree wells.
6)     Clifton Heights – Anne reported:
a.     Brief closing of Mellwood for work on flood wall gates
b.     Drescher Bridge sidewalk and reconfiguration – there will be a public meeting to discuss the delineation of the vehicle approach from Frankfort, made complicated by the maneuvering of large trucks pulling into LC Industries across Brownsboro.
c.     LG&E work, pedestrian issues – Cassandra and Anne will communicate with the LG&E contact person.
Report of August 14 Meeting:
In attendance: Member Neighborhood Associations: Clifton – Cassandra Culin, Co-Chair, Adam Ruschival, Bill Wright, Jason Crowder; Clifton Heights – Anne McMahon, Co-Chair, Tia Jenkins; Visiting Neighborhood: Butchertown – Stevie Finn; Metro Public Works – Dirk Gowin
1) Safe Passage Initiative (Frankfort Ave. Neighborhoods): The Committee reviewed the mock-ups Jason Crowder brought.  Many compliments on the design, lay-out, and colors.  In consultation with Dirk Gowin, Pedestrian and ADA Coordinator for Public Works, one substantive change was made describing the "Frontage Zone".  Dirk said that he believed that Public Works could print the brochures through the bike-pedestrian program.  Stevie will get the Butchertown logo.  One photo will be retaken.  [update: the photo has been shot; working on final editing of photo.  Butchertown and Crescent Hill have approved the brochures.  Kirk is working to get it to FABA for review and approval.]
(Additional information: Two pamphlets are being developed, one for the businesses and one for the public.  Photos were taken by John Beckman for use in the brochure, with permission of El Mundo and Café Classico, and the models used.)
2) Brownsboro Road (All)

a) Survey
: Cassandra reported that this is on hold for now.
b) Mayor's Mile
: Outstanding issues: getting the braille signage and Chicken Steps signage.  Cassandra will follow up with Public Works.  (Update – progress on the all signage; should be in place for the celebration)
c) Celebration
: Anne is taking the lead on this.  Anne and Cassandra will meet with Perry Krause, Owner, Clifton McDonald's.  CVS wants to be involved. [update: see announcement above; McDonald's will donate water; CVS will have give-aways in its parking lot]
3) McDonald's: The renovation is to be complete 8/17.  Appreciation was expressed for the construction crew.  The steps, wheelchair access, and doors opening in the right direction had been installed.
4) Share the Street Banners (All): Cassandra reported that the Highland Commerce Guild would permit our logo to replace the Guild's logo as long the Guild approves it and the banner clearly has the copyright symbol with the Guild's name.  Anne Walker will design a logo. [update: logo attached as a PDF as it would appear on the black background of the banner, also attached; it has been submitted to the Guild].  Adam inquired where checks should be written for our part of the banner funding.  [update: write checks to the Clifton Community Council which will hold them in an account for the banners]
(Additional information from May Meeting - We discussed funding in addition to requests members will make to their respective neighborhood association boards.  Adam Ruschival will investigate possible sources; Kirk Kandle will look into Bicycling & Pedestrian Education funds  and FABA.  Once we get the funding in place and a logo, we can make a determination of locations and make the request.  Anne has identified some possible locations on Brownsboro Road.  July meeting: Clifton CC will fund 5 banners; Clifton Heights CC 3)
5) Butchertown: Story sidewalks, concern that the MSD's tree wells narrowed the sidewalk too much; Dirk said they are not 4'.  The railing isn't so much a concern for the blind, but Stevie is concerned that they are tripping hazards.  Also other MSD issues in Butchertown, and LWC, and MPW that amount to hazards to pedestrians and bicyclists.  Stevie will work with Dirk on these issues.
6) Audible Signals: Dirk asked that problems be reported to MetroCall 311, either by phone or online, and you can also let Dirk know
Agenda for the August 15 Meeting:
A) Review agenda, make changes and additions
B) Brownsboro Road Sidewalk: reports and discussion
a.    Mayor’s Mile, report from Cassandra
b.     Celebration, report from Anne – See announcement at top!
C) Safe Passage Initiative: Report from Jason, Anne, and Cassandra
D) Share the Street Banners: Report from Cassandra
E) Story Sidewalks (Butchertown): Report from Stevie
F)  Irish Hill N.A. Report
G) Clifton Heights report – Dirk Gowin and Mayor Fischer
G) Other Issues
H) As time permits - Priority Setting Process: Brainstorm items to add to the lists.  Email Cassandra if you want a copy of the current working lists.  Once lists are compiled, the Committee will work on the process of setting funding priorities for future efforts at each meeting until it is complete.  We will work collaboratively on recommendations to be made to the respective Boards.  Each neighborhood association will decide priorities for its neighborhood.
 
Report of July 18  Meeting:
In attendance: Member Neighborhood Associations: Clifton – Cassandra Culin, Co-Chair, Adam Ruschival, Bill Wright, Jeff Nowlin, John Shellhamer; Clifton Heights – Anne McMahon, Co-Chair, Barbara Henning; Visiting Neighborhood: Butchertown – Stevie Finn
1) Joint Committee Agreement (All): Stevie presented the finalized Joint Committee Agreement.  She will put it before the Butchertown N.A. Board when she can get it on the agenda.  Cassandra will forward it to John Hawkins for the Irish Hill N.A.
2) Safe Passage Initiative (Frankfort Ave. Neighborhoods): Two pamphlets are being developed, one for the businesses and one for the public.  Anne McMahon reported and circulated a preliminary draft that Jason Crowder had produced.  He will be making edits and changes as agreed with Cassandra and Anne.  Photos were taken by John Beckman for use in the brochure, with permission of El Mundo and Café Classico, and the models used.  One photo will be retaken when the Frankfort Avenue crosswalk is striped.  Stevie will propose to the Butchertown N.A. that it join in the initiative, as it joins the NP&BA.
(from May meeting, drafts will need to be approved by the neighborhood associations, FABA, and Metro (Dirk Gowin for Public Works and Councilwoman Ward-Pugh) before they are finalized.)
3) Clifton Heights: Anne reported that the Clifton Heights C.C. had invited Dirk Gowin and Mayor Fischer to speak at its August 20 meeting (see announcement above).
4) Brownsboro Road (All)

a) Proposal to Extend the Road Diet: Discussion of the just called July 24 public meeting on this proposal to coincide with the scheduled repaving.  (Update – the Mayor decided not to extend the road diet this time.)
b) Survey: Cassandra reported that she had a meeting scheduled with Mike Sewell of Gresham Smith.
c) Mayor's Mile: Discussion about moving this project along.  Cassandra will follow up with Alex Molina, Tina Ward-Pugh and Kyle Ethridge.  Outstanding issues: getting the braille signage and Chicken Steps signage.  (Update – progress on the braille signage)
(from July meeting, the CVS Manager Mindy wants to help promote the Mayors Mile as related to health.  Perry Krause of McDonald's is also interested.)
5) Share the Street Banners (All): Cassandra Culin is following up with the Highland Commerce Guild on the logo issue discussed at the last meeting.  Anne Walker is on board to design a NP&BAC logo once this issue is resolved.
(Additional information from May Meeting - We discussed funding in addition to requests members will make to their respective neighborhood association boards.  Adam Ruschival will investigate possible sources; Kirk Kandle will look into Bicycling & Pedestrian Education funds  and FABA.  Once we get the funding in place and a logo, we can make a determination of locations and make the request.  Anne has identified some possible locations on Brownsboro Road.  July meeting: Clifton CC will fund 5 banners; Clifton Heights CC 3))
6) McDonald's (Clifton): Cassandra reported that she had a last minute meeting with Perry Krause, manager, who showed her accessibility features on the plans, including doors that opened the correct way for wheelchair users.  
7) Story Ave. (Butchertown): Discussion of concern about the tree wells narrowing the sidewalk too much.  Stevie Finn is looking into this, and the neighborhood's concerns in the gaps between the pervious pavers and the street pavement, which create hazards for pedestrians and bicyclists.
8) K&I Bridge: Committee members agreed to support asking CSX to open the K&I Bridge to non-motorized traffic (pedestrian and bicycle).  This would be on the existing roadbed and access ramps that was closed to all traffic many years ago and will create a loop for bicyclists and pedestrians, from the big 4 bridge, to the K&I bridge with multi-purpose paths on both sides of the river.  See * below for information about sending letters of support.
9) Frankfort Ave. Walkability Survey: Adam expressed concern that the Walkability Survey done last year is so out of date that we need to do a new one.  Agreement to take this up once some of our other projects have been completed.
10) Kenilworth (Clifton Heights): Working with MSD; might be a year before a sidewalk can be built.
11) Bus Stop Concern: NE corner of Ewing and Frankfort – sidewalk from Ewing to bench.
Posted by johnbaker on 08/14/2013
Last updated on 11/18/2014
Logo_w158
Louisville, Kentucky 40206